5 Things to know before you go hiking and camping in Cambodia
Hiking and camping is a part of great adventure experience in a life time. Cambodia is becoming a top of adventure tours destination in South-East Asia, where it home of nature beauty, stunning forest and mountain views, and hidden at of beauty in the jungle and countryside. Nowadays, Cambodia is starting to growth a numerous of hikers and campers, most of them are following their friends for these experience as some time they never know before or just hear a time about hiking, camping and adventuring. Therefore, to contribute some idea and knowledge about hiking and camping in Cambodia, Vana Adventure Travel would like share some tips before they go for hiking and camping.
1 Where to go and when to start
Cambodia is in tropical atmosphere where it devise exactly two seasons in a year. Wet season always start from May to October, and dry season from November to April. When we do hiking or camping, we always consider nature beauty destination like in the jungle, mountain, national parks and coastal areas. Therefore, that area always have a lot of rain in the wet season and some insects or mosquito also high at that time. However, during dry season everything always change. It so beautiful, warm temperature with nice breezy, and good time for hike and camp. Experience with adventure tour in Cambodia, Vana Adventure Travel is considered 8 hiking and camping tour destination in a countrywide.
- Kirirom National Park,
- Grass field and stunning mountain views of Mondulkiri province
- Virachey National Park in Ratanakiri province
- Bokor Hill Station and Coastal area
- Central of Cardamom mountains (The Krâvanh Mountains)
- Islands of Mekong in Kratie and Stung Treng Province
- Phnom Kulen National in Siem Reap
- Jungle and mountainous in Dangrek mountain range (Carrying-Pole Mountains).
Please make inquiry us for any further more information, detail itineraries, pricing and date for your hiking and camping tours in Cambodia.
2 Activity Levels and altitudes
Must know yourself first, you are regularly do exercise or walk a lot as long as climb up and downhill by foots. When you do hiking, your required to take long distance by foots, climb up and downhill and carry many thing for your personal use such as drinking water, food, camera etc. We
We assigned 4 activities level for our adventure tourists.
- Easy Hike – you may need to walk about 6km (4miles) involved with small hill or jungle
- Moderate – You are regularly do exercise or finest as you need to hike around 9 km (5.5 miles) involved in small hill, jungle and lowest altitude
- Strenuous – You always practice your hike in the jungle, mountain and long walk. You need hike around 12 km (7.4 miles) in the jungle, climb up and downhill with max altitude about 600m (2,000 ft) from the sea level
- Challenging – Is professional level, as you always did a longest hike, climb up, downhill and your hike distance around 17km to 22 km or more.
3 What to prepare and bring?
Remember that, think you are like army when you want to do hiking or camping. When you know where you go, how far you hike and how long you stay, you may know how much to bring along with. You should hiking bag, Osprey will guide you how to choose hiking bag to suite for you. Click here to learn about Osprey.
You need to prepare hiking shoes, hiking trouser, camping tent, foods and drinking water, first aid kit, phone, camera, light, knife kit, solar recharger, sunscreen, sunglasses, repellents etc.
4 Guides and Maps,
Local guide, or adventure guide is best choice for your hike. Some time, you may never know exactly about your hiking trails, or it is new trails for you. Guides will help you and provide a lot of information in their area whatever you never know before. Map also good choice, some hiking trails and camping site are already have a map. You can find in the book stores or adventure travel companies.
5 Beware of the wildlife and insects
Wildlife are living in the jungle, mountains and it’s somewhat common along the trails. Snakes, squirrels, monkey, and varieties of birds are always a long your trails. Check you hiking or camping destination first by the internet or discuss with your travel agents and guide who will lead your tour to there to make sure everything before you go or inquiry to an expert of Vana Adventure Travel for your tour and travel needed in Cambodia.