Best of Cambodia: Bike, Hike & Kayak expedition
This tour is ideal for those seeking to combine an interest in Buddhist culture with a variety of adventurous activities. We cycle on a flat dirt trails to explore the Cambodian countryside and local villages and learn about local life by visiting local people.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
This tour is ideal for those seeking to combine an interest in Buddhist culture with a variety of adventurous activities. We cycle on a flat dirt trails to explore the Cambodian countryside and local villages and learn about local life by visiting local people. As we cycle downhill through the national park we enjoy stunning mountain views, the cool pine forest and back on the dirt trails we pass various fruit and other plantations. Our second activity is hiking to the jungle of Kirirom National Park where we are immersed in the beautiful natural setting. We’ll encounter waterfalls, birds and wild animals and stay overnight in a luxury tent on a hilltop in the national park. Finally, we kayak at Koh Rong Island where you will explore the beautiful blue sea, relax and feel refreshed on this beautiful Cambodian island. You’ll have a round trip by speedboat- a great way to sign off on this unforgettable adventure. Koh Rong island is the second largest island of Cambodia, having an area of approximately 78 km², about 25 km off the Sihanouk Ville coast in the country’s south-west in the Gulf of Thailand. This multisport holiday offers the chance to experience the very best of Cambodia.
- Cycle experience through Cambodian countryside, local villages, paddy rice fields and opportunity to learn about the local culture
- Cycle downhill through the Kirirom National Park as a great natural beautify and a nice climate
- Hike through bamboo forest, see the beautiful waterfalls, climb up and downhill on foot in Chambok mount and Kirirom National Park – the home of wild animals, birds in a beautiful natural setting.
- Experience a local community home stay and one night in a luxury tent surrounded by pine trees and a nice climate
- Relax and recharge on the beautiful white sand beach, of Otres in Sihanouk Ville and Koh Rong Island as recommended by tourists and CNN travel.
- Experience sea kayaking to explore the beauty of Koh Rong Island
Tour at a glance
- Duration: 6 days/ 5 nights
- Depart 3 times a month
- 2 days cycling a total distance of 85km with support vehicle for most of the route
- 1-day hiking a distance of 15km supported by a local guide or rangers depending upon the group size
- Max altitude- 675 metres (2,215ft)
- Minimum age: 9 years old
- Max group size: 10
- Photographic opportunities: Good
- Tour starts in Phnom Penh and ends in Sihanouk Ville Airport, Kampot or Phnom Penh, according to your needs
- Tour Price (per person): US $936
- Child under 12 years old (per person): $534
- Single supplement: US $190
- A single supplement is available on this trip please contact our local specialist to book this single supplement. A single supplement is not available on the following nights; Day 1 Homestay
Is this for you?
- This is a multisport trip for those with a good level of fitness. The main activities include 2 days cycling on backroads, dirt trails and downhill, one day trekking in the national park with overnight luxury camping tent and sea kayaking at Koh Rong Island. The activities will be moderate to challenging and vehicle support is available for most of the route.
- Bikes (Trek Marlin 7 2018 with front suspension, mineral disk brakes and Shimano components) are provided for this wonderful holiday. Please bring your own bicycle helmet and provide us with your height, so we can make sure that a bike of the appropriate size is made available to you.
- Please note that, Cambodia is dominated by monsoons, which are known as tropical wet and dry because of the distinctly marked seasonal differences. The rainy season, which runs from May to October, can see temperatures drop to 22 °C (71.6 °F) and is generally accompanied with high humidity. The dry season lasts from November to April when temperatures can rise up to 40 °C (104 °F) around April. Therefore, we recommended you pack suitable clothing, sun protection, sun glasses, and that you always have lots of water with you.
- Meals provided: 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 1 dinner
- Accommodations: 1-night local home stay, 1-night luxury tent, 1-night standard hotel, 2 nights bungalow
- Transport: Private minivan, Cannondale Mountain bike with helmet, round trip speedboat, and sea kayak
- Trip Staff: English speaking cycle guide, Bike mechanic, local hiking guide or ranger and driver
- Optional activities in Kirirom Resort and Koh Rong Island not mentioned above (eg horse riding, scuba & snorkeling)
- Personal expenses and tips
- Travel Insurance
Paddy Rice Fields on two wheels and local experience
At 6am, we will meet you and pick you up from your hotel in Phnom Penh. After the mini bus transfer, saddle up in Tram Khna local market, then ride on less busy roads to explore local villages, paddy rice fields and countryside of Takeo and Kampong Speu province. On these beautiful trails, you will explore farmland, and natural lakes formerly part of the Khmer Rouge water basin for agriculture. Relax and rehydrate with cool water and tropical fruit in a nice place surrounded by mountains and beautiful countryside. After 45km cycling, we have a short transfer to a local restaurant for our lunch and then continue to the Chambok Ecotourism Site. Chambok is a community in Kampong Speu Province, consisting of nine villages with around 3,000 inhabitants. Since 2002, Chambok Ecotourism offers 51 homestays for tourists which gives you the chance to stay overnight and experience authentic Cambodian lifestyle. We will stay overnight in this community which greatly benefits local farmers and villagers. You will enjoy a local dinner cooked by a group of women who are passionate about their job and about improving their living conditions too.
Distance Meals Accommodation 45km B L D Home-stay
Hiking to the Kirirom National Park
Today’s journey follows the Chambok community which is a rural tourism project that benefits local farmers and sustainable living. We will explore the bamboo forest, rainforest and relax with a packed lunch in the jungle. Then, we climb up to the hilltop with stunning views across to the Cardamom Mountains and pause along the way to walk down a ranger road covered by pine trees – a very peaceful and natural experience. After we hike about 15 km, we get on our support vehicle and drive to the VKirirom Pine Resort for our overnight stay in a luxury tents with a delicious dinner in a nice restaurant with a beautiful climate.
Hiking distance Meals Accommodation 15km B L A luxury tent
Downhill and drive to lively beach city of Sihanouk Ville
At 8:30am after you finish breakfast, warm up and saddle up our bikes for a downhill ride through the national park where you’ll experience a nice breezy and beautiful foggy morning. Next, we cycle through mango plantations and other fruit farms where you’ll see many kinds of fruit and see the real life of villagers when we visit their house and taste their fruit in the fields. After 40km cycling, we have a short transfer to a local restaurant for our lunch and then continue to Sihanouk Ville to check in to your hotel which is located on Otress beach. Otres is a nice beach with a good atmosphere and easy access. There are plenty of bars and restaurants for you to spend the day lounging on a sunbed. The beach offers a panoramic seaside view with a beautiful sunset and sunrise – a nice beach for walking and relaxing by the blue sea.
Distance Meals Accommodation 40km B L Standard hotel
Speed boat to Koh Rong Island at 11am and scooter riding on the island
The morning is free for you to enjoy the beach or the town. Breakfast is served at your hotel from 6:30am until 10:00am. We will pick you up and drive to the boat ferry at 10:30am where you will take a speedboat to Koh Rong Island at 11am taking 45minutes to 1hour depending upon the conditions. Koh Rong island is the second largest island of Cambodia, having an area of approximately 78 km². The island boasts beautiful pristine white beaches, clear turquoise ocean waters, and a tropical jungle wilderness containing several native species. On arrival, you will refresh on white sand beach, enjoy a swim in the blue sea or riding a scoter on the island where you’ll explore long beach, Sok San beach and other attraction for your experience.
Meals Speed Boat Scooter Accommodation B 45 minute 3 hours ride Bungalow
Kayak Expedition and follow activities in Koh Rong Island
There are many spectacular holiday locations on Koh Rong. The main tourist beach (Koh Touch) creates a vibrant party atmosphere, with lots of hotels, bars, and night clubs. The quiet, less-busier beaches (e.g. White Beach, Long Beach, Lonely Beach, and Palm Beach) offer more relaxing vacations.
One nice activity on Koh Rong is doing a kayak trip. You can easily kayak from Tiu beach (main beach) to Koh Touch the little island in front of the beach and after that go to Long Set Beach. That’s one of the beautiful beaches on Koh Rong. Hire a kayak is included and you also can try other optional activities such as watersports, zibeline, boat trip, fishing etc.
Kayak Meals Accommodation 2 hours B Bungalow
Tour ends in Sihanouk Ville
Our tour ends after breakfast and you get back to Sihanouk Ville by speedboat. You would be welcome to join with us on the drive back to the Phnom Penh at 1:30pm via Kampot. If you have time, you could stay in this colonial architecture town, enjoy a sunset cruise tour on the peaceful river of Kampot and other activities. If you need to flight to Siem Reap, please let us know in advance about your flight schedule as we will arrange a taxi to pick you up from the boat party to go to Sihanouk Ville International Airport.
Meals Speedboat Support Vehicle B 45 minute to 1 hours Private or Taxi
Locally Operator and Experience
Vana Adventure Travel is a Cambodian family own business was established in 2014 located in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. By passionate with adventure travel and experiences in organizing of outdoor activities, Vana Adventure Travel is outstanding to offer cycling tours, hiking tours and tailormade holidays in a countrywide. We aim to provide adventure lovers with the most enjoyable and fulfilling adventure travel experience of their lives. We working with Cambodian local families, local ecotourism communities and we put our best efforts to the local for strengthening and sustainable development. We are running with our based of core values:
- Valuable for customers and human
We understand what we need to lives is living with a value of human. We go somewhere and stay somewhere are always meet with people, children etc. We know everyone is not come from the same house, however we understand we are the same human. We don’t discriminate or separate what we are and mostly we effort to try to understand to each other. We don’t discriminate nation, religions, ethnic origin, colour, religion, language, or any other status. We are all equally entitled to our customer values without discrimination.
- Integrity and honesty
We do not hide what we have in the holiday itinerary to the customers, by dealing truthfully and transparently with our customers, employees, suppliers and the community-based ecotourism site and therefore being an ethical company. We are saying no at any commissions from the customers where they shop something, stay somewhere or go somewhere. We need our customers feel we are a one family!
- Quality of products and valuable for money
All of our adventure tour products must be quality and appreciated by the customers with a valuable for money. Most of your expense for the tours are going through to the local based, community based which much benefit to the them for their sustainable living.
- Sustainable Travel
We put our best efforts to the local for strengthening and sustainable development. We help our stakeholders to understand about environmental issues, renewable and non-renewable resources and help them to use the natural resources in order to sustain and make quality of life of all people with a livable environment.
Cambodian food tends not to be as hot or spicy as Thai and 85% of Cambodia food are come from vegetable and fish as normally they eat as a fresh meal. The most popular fast food in Cambodia, often served from street stalls, is the Chinese noodle soup. Commonly Cambodia meals is including steam rice, while your traveling on this journey we will find a wide variety of Cambodia cuisines such as Amok, green curry, green herb soup, and other stir-fried vegetable. We also find another available including French, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese. In smaller towns and villages, local food such as ‘charcoal chicken’, ‘sticky rice’ and ‘fried fish’ will commonly be offered.
We bike on dirt trails and backroads, most of time we cycle through Khmer villages where commonly their pets and animal are always involved with the routes, such as chickens, ducks, cows, buffalos, pigs and dogs etc. Most of the countryside route are bumpy and some muddy during the raining season which is from May to October.
This is a leisurely biking holiday and we rarely cover more than 10 or 15 kilometres, before stopping to look around at one or other of Cambodia’s tourist sites. We do, however, have a support vehicle which will follow the group at a discreet distance, carrying water and the group’s day-packs, as well as service items and repair kits for the bikes. Anyone who chooses not to ride a section of the itinerary can take a ride in the support vehicle instead.
Transport on the journey
Bicycle, boat, private mini bus, scooter and kayak
We give you a free gift as a way to thank all our clients who book a Vana Adventure holiday. All of our gifts are come from a community-based ecotourism site where it will benefit to the local people and farmers. Choose a scarf or bag were made by hands, honey bee or other kitchen materials made from bamboo were serve from community plus many more.
For this holiday you will need normal cycling clothing, including suitable shoes, cycling gloves and a helmet (which must be worn at all times when cycling).
- Cycling helmet and shoes
- Water bladder- min 2 litter water capacity or refill water bottle
- Day backpack and Personal medication/ small first aid kit
- Nice to help
- Insect repellent
- Sunscreen, lip balm, sunhat and sunglasses
- Flip flops and Swimwear
- Smartphone, camera and electrical adapter plug
- Regular biking gloves
- Travel and off-the-bike clothing and footwear
- Wash bag, towel, toiletries, including anti-bacterial hand wash
The unit of currency in Cambodia is the Riel (KHR). Some international currencies are also accepted like US $. ATMs are available in Phnom Penh and any central provinces of the country and also dispense in both KHR and US$.
Electricity Supply and Plug
Electricity in Cambodia is 220V, and most sockets accommodate plugs with two flat pins.
We recommend you check if you require an adaptor for your electrical items at:
Cambodia has a tropical climate, with a rainy season from June to September. The hottest months are just before the monsoon, in April and May. From October through to April there is little rain and from December through to March is the `cool` season although it rarely gets cold. Daytime temperatures will hover around a humid 30 degrees centigrade, falling to the low 20’s at night. Please check, when is good time to visit Cambodia.
Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission and ≥1 year of age, including transit >12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of YFV transmission.1
Areas with malaria: Present throughout the country, including Siem Reap city. None in the city of Phnom Penh and at the temple complex at Angkor Wat.
Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.
Drug resistance4: Chloroquine and mefloquine.
Malaria species: P. falciparum 86%, P. vivax 12%, P. malariae 2%, P. knowlesi rare.
Recommended chemoprophylaxis: In the provinces of Banteay Meanchey, Battambang, Kampot, Koh Kong, Odder Meanchey, Pailin, Preah Vihear, Pursat, and Siem Reap bordering Thailand: Atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline. All other areas with malaria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.
Other Vaccines to Consider