Killing Field & Mekong Villages Bike Ride
Full day bike tour in Phnom Penh. Biking through the city to discover deference life of Khmer people from the heart to the outskirts area of Cambodia, learn about the Khmer rouge regime and visit killing field where 17,000 people were tortured before being killed included women and children between 1975 to 1978.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
Biking through the city to discover deference life of Khmer people from the heart to the outskirts area of Cambodia, learn about the Khmer rouge regime and visit killing field where 17,000 people were tortured before being killed included women and children between 1975 to 1978.
The Cheung Ek genocide museum (Killing Field) is located in Cheung Ek commune, Dankoar district, about 15 km from the centre of Phnom Penh. This is the location where the Khmer Rouge took their prisoners for execution. The prisoners were made to wait here for 24 hours before they were killed by a blow to the head after which their throats were slit. Babies were killed by bashing their heads against a tree. There were separate graves for men, for women and for children. Former friends of Pol Pot who were executed here had separate graves too. Heading out of the city, we cycle to explore natural lake, another small town, explore fruit and vegetable orchard, farming villages and silk weaving workshop at the island of Mekong which is called Mekong Villages. These villages are along the bank of Mekong River with the beautiful and richest farmland.
- Discover the largest city and an important regional centre is Phnom Penh, rebuilt and modernized by the French during their period of colonial rule which began in 1870.
- Visit Killing Field and learn about Khmer rouge regime where 17,000 people were tortured before being killed included women and children from 1975 to 1978.
- Biking through peaceful Khmer villages, farmland and beautiful countryside along the bank of Mekong River.
- Connect with a local artisans during the visit silk weaving house and tasting the finest flavors of local snacks and make this such a great experience.
Tour at a Glance
- Tour Price (Per Person): KHR380,000 *USD85
- Child under 12 years old : KHR 180,000 * USD 45
- Depart daily at 7:30am
- Cycling distance 45 kilometers ( 28 miles) which is the vehicle supported
- 2 ferry crossing of Mekong River
- Minimum Age: 12 years old
- Max group size : 12
- Photographic: Good
Is this journey for you?
This is primarily a discovery biking tour in Phnom Penh, which covers the highlights of the Mekong Islands, Khmer villages and countryside near the Phnom Penh capital city of Cambodia and Killing Filed. These cycling adventure is on the flat route and it is the best ways for small group travelers, family, school students, photographers and another adventure tourists who wished to experience and explore beautiful countryside, Khmer villages, farmland and silk weaving community at the island of Mekong and learn about Khmer rouge regime when visit the killing field. To be able to include all these highlights in the itinerary involves a considerable amount of overland travel, by private bus. Purified drinking water were serve for you with a lunch at local restaurant is a great way to sign off on this cycling tour.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking cycle guide
- All entrance fees & audio tour fee in Killing Field
- Cannondale Mountain bike, and helmet or tandem bike or bike trailer for kid
- All purified drinking water, coconut juice or local street food tasting
- 2 or 3 ferry crossing fees
- Lunch at local restaurant
- Vehicle support
- Personal expenses & tip, Travel insurance (cover against all cancellation costs, medical expenses, including repatriation, in the event of accident of illness).
- Beer, soft drink and other fresh juice
Visit Killing Field and take a biking adventure through Mekong Villages
In a morning we meet and pick you up from your hotel at 7:30am and transfer to the Killing Field for first visit before we starting a paddle. Spend a time around 45 minutes or more upon group requesting for an audio tour in Killing Field where you will hear and learn a lot of thing about Khmer Rouge regime, killing field and Cambodia situation at that time. As a evident about 20,000 people were tortured before being killed included women and children between 1975 to 1978 in Killing Field. After visiting and listening about Khmer rouge in Killing Field, our guide provide you a short relax to refresh with coconut juice or cool drinking water before we saddle up and cycling. Our trail is belong with outskirt area of Phnom Penh city, and we cycle through farming villages, flower farms and another plantations a long the Bassac River and Mekong River. You’ll encounter experience with a real life of local people, farmers and small floating village which based on fishing as the main job for them. Continuously, we get a ferry crossing the Mekong and keep going with our bike to a local restaurant for lunch. Then we have short cycle to visit silk weaving factory where they will prepare any fresh fruit, local cakes and cool water for our energy. Then they will show us about silk weaving processing as the traditional skill and a part of local income especially for women who can’t work a long time in the field. If you wish to buy some silk products for your souvenir, you can do it with a price without commission. We may take rest at there around 1 hour or more depending on our tiring and Sunny, then we cycle to the second ferry to visit Silk Island. These island is also farmland which Khmer people crow the corn, mango, ginger, banana, tomato and another vegetable. At there our guide will show you about the lifestyle of people on the Island and share something about Buddhism in Cambodia when visit Buddhist temple. After that we ride to last ferry and back to the town by vehicle support as will give you time to freshen up before your dinner or other activities afterward.
|45 km cycling | Meals = L |
We do suggest you to bring appropriate clothing to fit the season and a day pack to carry extra snacks and water. Here is some of the items that you can on it:
- Wear comfort clothes
- Shoes, sunglasses and sun cream with SPF+
- Mosquito repellent and Camera or smart phone for taking some photo during the trip and make sure their battery are enough
Cambodian food tends not to be as hot or spicy as Thai and 85% of Cambodia food are come from vegetable and fish as normally they eat as a fresh meal. The most popular fast food in Cambodia, often served from street stalls, is the Chinese noodle soup. Commonly Cambodia meals is including steam rice, while your traveling on this journey we will find a wide variety of Cambodia cuisines such as Amok, green curry, green herb soup, and other stir-fried vegetable.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required